Migrating Email from Google Groups
Due to Google limitations, it is not possible to export email out of Google Groups, therefore, the migration process is one-way only.
Mailboxes can be migrated to Google Groups when migrating to GSuite rather than to a user account. To do this the following steps should be performed:
• Ensure you have completed the GSuite setup steps, including for Groups, as described in 'Preparing the Destination Platform'
• In the Users/Resources tab within the migration tool, select the rows you wish to migrate to Google Groups, right click and select 'Migrated Selected to Google Groups' as shown below. The Group name will be set from the 'Item Name' and the description from 'Item Description'
Migrating Exchange Public Folders to Google Groups
By default, when the tool obtains the user list to migrate from Exchange (except 2007, see the section on generating user lists from Exchange 2007), Public Folders are set to migrate to Google Groups. To change this to a user account, make the change as described above.
Considerations Migration Email to Google Groups
• You must ensure all of the setup steps have been performed and you may need to wait for all of the settings in the Google domain to propagate completely.
• The maximum message size that can be migrated to Google Groups is 16MB. If the option 'Modify Invalid Messages' has been selected (by default this is selected) then the tool will attempt to reduce the message size by removing attachments as with normal migrations to GSuite. If this is not selected, messages greater than 16MB will be rejected and will be reported in the tool.
• If the setting 'Create Users/Resources/Groups' is selected then the Group will be created if it does not already exist. If the group is created using this option, it is created with default options with the administrator as group owner and with no users added to it as members.
Please note that due to a limitation with the API, it is not possible to create tags in a Google Group during a migration.