Migrating Email from Google Groups
Due to Google limitations, it is not possible to export email out of Google Groups, therefore, the migration process is one-way only.
Mailboxes can be migrated to Google Groups when migrating to G Suite rather than to a user account. To do this the following steps should be performed:
• Ensure you have completed the G Suite setup steps, including for Groups, as described in 'Preparing the Destination Platform'
• In the Users/Resources tab within the migration tool, select the rows you wish to migrate to Google Groups, right click and select 'Migrated Selected to Google Groups' as shown below. The Group name will be set from the 'Item Name' and the description from 'Item Description'
Migrating Exchange Public Folders to Google Groups
By default, when the tool obtains the user list to migrate from Exchange (except 2007, see the section on generating user lists from Exchange 2007), Public Folders are set to migrate to Google Groups. To change this to a user account, make the change as described above.
Considerations when migrating email to Google Groups
- The maximum message size that can be migrated to Google Groups is 25MB. If the option 'Modify Invalid Messages' has been selected (by default this is selected) then the tool will attempt to reduce the message size by removing attachments as with normal migrations to G Suite. If this is not selected, messages greater than 25MB will be rejected and will be reported in the tool.
- Migrating attachments to Drive is not an option (as Google Groups don't have Drive use).
- Group Tags are not supported. Due to a limitation with the API, it is not possible to create tags in a Google Group during a migration.